Baileys Ice cream

Saturday, March 07, 2009
Baileys on ice** is one thing, Iced Baileys is another.
Looking through some new menus ideas at the begining of January I came accross this recipe for Baileys cream pots. It reminded me I had been asked to make Baileys ice cream once by a friend as a birthday present, and how well it went down. That was just too long a time ago - a revival was well overdue.

As with all the ice cream I ever seem to make, it doesn't last long - the next time you go back to it the pot's always empty. I advise a padlock on your freezer if you ever want to get a look in.

Baileys bread and butter pudding as served at the Boathouse near Stratford on Avon
This recipe has been bookmarked for anyone else who wants to try it on the virtual recipe drawer that is Bookmarked Recipes - your one-stop shop for tried and tested recipes from the food blogger community updated every Monday.

If it's an ice cream recipe you want the first place to turn to is 'Ices - The Definitive Guide' by Caroline Liddell & Robin Weir. It's the book I got at the same time as my first ice cream machine when I was 15, and it still holds so many things I want to get round to making.

Like the crème fraîche ice cream recipe I use it's not anglaise based, though you could also try doing that if you want to use less sugar.

Recipe

500ml Whipping or double dream
500ml Milk
200g Caster sugar
125ml Baileys (But I doubled that to get a decent flavour - and it still freezes)

Heat these ingredients in a pan, stirring occasionally till the sugar dissolves. Leave to cool, then cover and chill in fridge till it's fridge cold. Then churn in your ice cream machine for 20 minutes, or still freeze. Transfer to a container and freeze.

Because of the alcohol content it does need freezing for at least 4 hours or overnight before it's firm enough to eat - it won't be firm enough straight from the ice cream machine. They also advise not adding more Baileys than they put, or it won't freeze, but I haven't found this to be the case - my hand always seem to 'slip'. If it comes out very solid allow 5 - 10 minutes out of the freezer for it to soften.

How do you serve ice cream for a large number of guests at the same time? - See an earlier tip here.

Serve on it's own (as above), for Baileys lovers with a extra helping drizzled on top. Or you could accompany it with Baileys bread and butter pudding (or is that the other way round?)

You can also make your own cream based liquor. You won't achieve the same flavour, but it's worth a try every so often......
Edit
How do I make ice cream if I don't have an ice cream machine?
Still freezing. There's directions about 2/3 of the way down here.

Buying an ice cream machine

These are the two I have:

This smaller one I was given as a Christmas present when I was 14 - a great starter model. I still remember the first ice cream I made in it - orange. The difference in flavour was so amazing - just tasted like fresh oranges - not exactly what you can say about supermarket varieties. Rhubarb crumble and custard ice cream was another good one, and pea and mint sorbet was also memorable, as was the cherry and cherry wine ice cream when the local cherry trees were in fruit. Lasted a good 20 years as well (and that's with some serious amount of use!) Great for small scale domestic use.


This larger ice cream machine is the one I have now. Because of the amounts of ice cream I have to make now I needed something bigger and faster. This machine has a built in freezer unit so it freezes the ice cream while it churns. I've found you get a much better result than the old one (smoother and lighter) - it's all to do with the science of ice crystals. You can also do much larger quantities - you just have to wait for a few minutes for it to cool down and then you can go again, whereas the smaller version you have to freeze the bowl overnight before you can use it.
The first thing I made in it was orange sorbet which got great reviews that night we served it!


Related posts

Ice cream tip
Vegan ice cream
Crème fraîche ice cream
Orange sorbet
Pina colada ice cream


** That's Baileys on ice - not to be confused with Dancing on Ice.

8 comments

Sara said...

Wow, this sounds fabulous! I never need an excuse for ice cream :)

Julie said...

Looks delish! Now if only I had an ice cream maker :)

Jan said...

I'm all for doubling the amount if Baileys!!! Looks yummy!

Trig said...

It's one of my all-time favourite ice creams. The Baileys prevents it from crystallising so it not only has a deep creamy chocolate flavour but a silky texture as well. Oh, I'm drooling just thinking about it. Can you send me some in a cooler box, please? I left my ice cream maker in London.

Maggie said...

A great recipe and saves time by not having to make a custard base.
Bailey's on their site closed the link to James Martin recipes which I thought was a bit mean!

Joie de vivre said...

Definitely an "adult" dessert. I have got to try it!

♥Rosie♥ said...

This ice cream sounds delish!

test it comm said...

I great ice cream for St. Patty's day!