Elderflower liqueur update

Monday, November 02, 2009
As the evenings draw in you need to give yourself a reminder that summer is never too far away. Homemade elderflower cordial, 'champagne' or liqueur really is summer in a bottle. Unlike the mass produced version this has fragrance bursting out of the bottle - and you remember why the bees like the elderflower bushes so much - it has to be the best thing you can pick in the wild. I keep them in the front of the van while I drive back from collecting them - the aroma is awesome!

I passed the elderflower liqueur last month through the jelly bag used for making jam, just in time for Adam's birthday. A select vintage - just 1 1/2 bottles. I was going to make more but it rained - and the elderflowers are never any good after rain. You can see how it started out from a post in June. I didn't use quantities, or a recipe - it was just elderflowers covered to the top with gin, caster sugar and a lemon cut in small pieces - the lemon helps to stop the elderflowers turning black. It came from an idea from my great aunt who used to like making a Cointreau like liqueur with orange and lemon zest, caster sugar and gin. But I couldn't find her recipe anywhere so I guestimated. I thought adding in the elderflowers would be nice. I was right.

The only problem when making something like this is the bottles always seem to have a hole in the bottom.......


Related posts

Elderflowers June 2009 - to make the liqueur
Elderflowers 2007
Elderflower poached chicken

1 comment

Shaheen said...

I made elderflower champagne earlier this year with great success, now after seeing your elderflower liquer - I know I'll be making this next year. Thanks for the recipe idea.