Waffles with chocolate sauce and ice cream

Sunday, August 15, 2010
The first waffles I had were high up near the top of Mount Teide. Better than American style pancakes? Well you decide. Similar recipe. And so many variations. I did them last week with diced strawberries mixed bit of strawberry puree as part of the brunch for the stag party....
.. although when I had suggested them I had forgotten the shape of nana's waffle pan ;)
When I saw this waffle recipe last year I remembered the waffle iron, which had been hanging in her utility room for as long as I could remember. Now in the new house it had been relegated to the garage. And I borrowed/ inherited it.

You go abroad and you see waffles being sold on the street from carts or kiosks, but waffles aren't really so popular here for some reason. Maybe it's time to put that right?

Suprisingly easy to make - just a matter of temperature - too low as I found out and they stay as flat as a crepe. Medium high heat and they cook in 1 - 2 minutes. You turn the pan round half way so they cook on both sides - great piece of equipment.

EDIT 13/8/12

As the blog I originally got this from has now been deleted this is it (luckily I printed it):

1 ¾ cups plain flour
1tsp bicarbonate soda
Pinch salt
2 egg yolks
2 egg whites beaten to stiff peak
1 ¾ cups milk
½ cups melted butter or oil

1 - In a bowl stir together the flour, bicarbonate of soda & salt

2 - Beat together yolks, milk, oil and butter

3 - Stir yolk into flour mix

4 - Beat whites to stiff peaks, then fold into the batter being very careful not to overmix.

5 - Spoon into your waffle iron & cook till golden. You can get get electric waffle makers, but the old fashioned one I have (as seen above) which goes on the gas heat you need to turn over to finish the other side.

4 comments

theundergroundrestaurant said...

Great minds! We just had freshly made waffles in the north of France, superb, and felt determined to make some myself soon.
Hilarious, heart shaped waffles for a stag night!

James said...

Make them. Straight away! So easy. So nice.

Julie said...

Very nice! I love that waffle iron.

James said...

Thanks. Couldn't believe how easy pan was to use - totally non stick. Inherited some good kitchen equipment.