Spinach and feta canapé spring rolls

Thursday, January 29, 2009
Pictures taken from preparation for a wedding at Upper Court last year.

We used baby spinach from Zenith Nurseries in Evesham (steamed, chilled and squeezed dry)and feta cheese, as this was the cheese that had been requested, although when I did them again, I used our local St. Agnes. You could use goats cheese as well.
Seasoned with salt, pepper and nutmeg, the mix is layed out on filo pastry. I use two sheets of filo together - a single layer bursts easily while cooking.
Filo pastry dries out fast so as mentioned on the duck filo roll post, while I'm making the first batch of rolls, I keep the remaining filo for the next batch under cling film or a damp cloth.

The sides are brushed with beaten egg and folded over.
Then the ends are brushed with beaten egg too and rolled.
They go on to a tray (all 120+ of them) with a baking mat. If you put them on to greaseproof they most often stick to it, so you have to tear them off - it's messy and you can leave paper on the rolls if you're not careful. They slip off baking mats (one of the most important pieces of kitchen equipment) like a dream.
When they are assembled as above I brush the tops with a little more beaten egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
You can also deep-fry them, but baking reduces the fat content, and they don't taste oily.

Related posts:

Wedding catering in Tewkesbury, Cheltenham, Cirencester, Gloucester, Gloucestershire and accross the Cotswolds and Midlands

5 comments

Julie said...

Looks really yummy. I love spinach.

Joie de vivre said...

How lovely.

test it comm said...

Spinach and feta is a great combo and I like the sound of it in spring rolls.

Jan said...

Oooh now they look good! I love feta anything!

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of spanakopitakia. Looks delicious and fancy!