1001 Kitchen Tips #66 - How to glaze lemon tarts without a blow torch

Sunday, November 27, 2011
That's what I love about aga's - so versatile!
 Yes - that's right - fill the lemon tart, sprinkle with demerara sugar and flip it upside down direct on the aga plate for around 5 seconds. Not a job for the faint-hearted. Lift it off carefully with a palette knife and flip it right side up again on to a tray.
 It does make rather a lot of smoke though - not something you want to do in a house where the smoke alarms are super sensative - we did this at Wyelands earlier.

Afterwards just scrape the sugar remains from the aga plate, scrub it down and it's like back to normal - aren't aga's great!.

I have the feeling this would also work for creme brulee - as long as it reached to the top of the dish so it made contact with the aga plate.
Lemon tart with raspberry coulis and raspberry sorbet. 

N.B. - Only sprinkle the demerara sugar on top one layer of sugar crystals thick - shake off any excess before turning upside down on the aga top. What I found was that it is the top layer of sugar which caramelises - if there is too much sugar on top the top layer stays stuck to the aga plate when you lift it off, rather than on your lemon tart.

Related

4 comments

Grazing Kate said...

wow - I shall try this when I'm next visiting my sis-in-law. I'm sure she'll be delighted if I use her Aga like that. I'm impressed!

James said...

I've also done steaks direct on the aga top before too. The grill pan was too large for the aga - so was just not getting hot enough.
Aga's can be so versatile :)

Maggie said...

I love the wooden serving platter for the figs and the lemon tarts look to die for James.

James said...

Thanks! The tea-pot serving platter was part of the kitchen equip at the apartment we had - too good not to use.