Wild strawberry and coriander sushi

Wednesday, June 24, 2009
Strawberries and coriander - who would ever think of putting those two ingredients together?
Mr Brooks might. And did - that's where I got the idea for doing this. I was going to use normal strawberries, but as I went through the garden this morning in search of rosemary and sage to go on top of foccacia I saw the recent sun had ripened up all the wild strawberries so I just had to pick them......




As this is a sweet version of sushi I used coconut milk to cook the rice rather than water. I'm not sure this is quite authentic - maybe in malaysian cuisine, but it tastes good. If you want a savoury version (with normal sushi rice) tuna and strawberry sushi is a classic.



No nori on this one - though if you google strawberry sushi - you can see some quite interesting versions and some 'interesting' ones too.





Rolled in toasted dessciated coconut. Best to toast it in a frying pan - if you put it in the oven you'll remember it's in there only when black smoke is wafting through your kitchen.......

Let it cool down too before you roll. Roll tightly in cling film - this helps you cut the round shapes easily.
Balsamic syrup makes a nice accompaniment (as above), but you could also sieve some strawberries to make a coulis as a dip.

This has been submitted to the Strawberry Feast at My Kitchen Treasures.

6 comments

Finla said...

Wow a fruit sushi, i neve rknew we could make a fruit shshi.
I have never had sushi as i din't like réaw fish, this i am sure i would love it.
Thankyou for joining uo my strawberry feast.

Poorni Pillai said...

That's pretty! Dessert Sushi is really fun :)

Mariana Kavroulaki said...

I could never ever resist that!

Jan said...

Wow - that is just such a great idea!!

James said...

Happy Cook - Mango is nice too....

Miakoda - so right!

Mrs. History - even tastes good at 4 in the morning.....

Jan - I'm sure Setonaikai in Shrewsbury would kit you out in the sushi line..... or mail it to you. Have I mentioned them? :-)

Chef Fresco said...

That is the most interesting looking sushi! Creative!