2014 A to Z Blogging Challenge - G is for (Cotswolds) Gin and Tonic sorbet

Tuesday, April 08, 2014
"What?! There's a Cotswold Gin?!" It was enough to make me forget about the bread rolls in the oven while I read up about it a few weeks ago. You can go the place in Bourton-on-the-water where it is made!.....



Gin and tonic sorbet

Ever since I posted the gin and tonic sorbet on the Scottish & Irish theme night we did last year it has become so popular! I was amazed then about the difference that Hendrick's gin made and this Cotswolds gin does exactly the same - lending it's own distinctive taste to the sorbet. What I find is the freezing temperature of the sorbet seems to bring out more flavour in the gin, which is why it is so important to have good quality gin which has been distilled with love. It's like the difference between using vin de table and vintage claret - life is only so long so you might as well enjoy it!






I use the recipe from Ices the Definitive Guide:

120ml (Cotswolds) Gin
500ml Sugar syrup (about 300g sugar, 300ml water)
375ml Tonic water
Juice 1 lemon
1 egg white (pasteurized)
Makes about 1 litre

Combine the gin, sugar syrup, tonic water and lemon juice (may need a bit of extra lemon). Cover and chill in the fridge.
When ready churn in the ice cream machine (I have one of these ones now - best I've had!) or still freeze (there is a link on how to do this here). 10 minutes before the end of churning (I did mine after 40 mins) add the egg white. Continue churning for a further 10 mins.
Due to the alcohol content in the sorbet it won't freeze completely to the point where it can be eaten straight away - you will need to empty it into a container and freeze overnight. Make sure you hide it at the back of the freezer or someone else will have polished it off by the time you come back!
Serve straight from the freezer - it starts to melt faster than normal sorbets due to the alcohol content.
Assiette of deserts in Bourton on the Water 2012 with gin and tonic sorbet shotglass at the back - this was about 1 mile from where this gin is produced (wish I'd known about it then!)
I should point out that I brought this with my own money (great customer service btw):


In other interesting news they also produce a Cotswold Vodka! Just saying.....

7 comments

Mars said...

Yep as expected my fav before I even read it just from your title!

I LOVE sorbet and I LOVE gin and tonic.

I've never had Gin and Tonic sorbet... I *knew* there was something missing from my life!

Mars
Curling Stones for Lego People

James said...

Go and make yourself some! You can also infuse the gin in cucumber for a few days before you make the sorbet (if you can wait) like I did here: http://www.thecotswoldfoodyear.com/2013/11/7-course-scottish-and-irish-theme.html - and the gin soaked cucumber remains afterwards make a great salad addition!

Christiane France - Author said...

Your food sounds fabulous. Too bad I live so far away I can't drop in for a taste :)

My mom's family was from Birmingham and I still have cousins in Redditch and Studley.

Anonymous said...

Stopping by from the A to Z challenge. I don't drink anymore, but this looks tasty.

John
http://thesoundofonehandtyping.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Stopping by from the A to Z challenge. I don't drink anymore, but this looks tasty.

John
http://thesoundofonehandtyping.wordpress.com

martine said...

Clicked your link just because we used to live in Moreton in Marsh, and so glad I did, what a fabulous selection of recipes, will certainly be back over the next month.
martine@ silencingthebell

James said...

@Christiane - thanks! Next time you're in the area!....

@Soundofonehand - you can also do similar thing with elderflower cordial & tonic rather than gin! :)

@Martine - Moreton in Marsh is nice isn't it. Call back anytime - lots more to come!