Gluten free garlic bread

Tuesday, September 29, 2009
Gluten free doesn't mean taste free when you make your own!

Unknown to the organiser (whose birthday weekend it was) one of her guests is now on a gluten free diet. As luck would have it all the things they had chosen last night (Sunday) were gluten free anyway - the chocolate nemesis uses ground almonds rather than flour. For tonight (Monday) as garlic bread was on their menu I made a gluten free version as well and used the recipe from the bag of Dove Farm gluten free flour halving it.




When I was making the BNT brioche loaf the other week I liked the way the home cured bacon cooked inside the bread as it baked, the bread absorbing the bacon juices. I thought it might be good to try the same thing with garlic butter.

225g gluten free flour
1/4 tsp salt
1tsp fast action yeast
1 tbsp sugar
160ml hand hot milk
1tsp vinegar
1 egg

These were mixed in the machine, then 3 tbsp olive oil was added gradually.

As I only needed a small amount I used a half pound loaf tin. Made a base of the bread dough and smoothed with a spoon dipped in hot water. Then rolled out bits of dough and added these to the sides and spooned garlic butter into the middle (you could chill it and cut it, but I was in a rush). Then I added more dough on the top and smoothed this off with the warmed spoon so the loaf glued together.

I left it to rise for an hour while I got everything else together, then egg washed the top and baked for 45 minutes at 220 oC. As soon as it was out of the oven I was off driving into the setting sun on the way to Kempley Barns near Ross on Wye for the second evening.

I also made a gluten free version of sticky toffee pudding - just replacing normal flour in the recipe with gluten free flour. And the same with the tuile for the top - just replacing the flour.


Related posts

1 comment

test it comm said...

That is an amazing way to do a garlic bread!