Sesame bagels

Tuesday, September 08, 2009
I've recently been converted.
I'd never seen the point of bagels before - some you can buy really do justify their nickname cement doughnuts, just another thing supermarkets do so badly. That was until I made my own. Crispy on the outside yet soft in the middle and very addicitve - now I see why New Yorkers are mad for them.

I used these ones last Saturday with cream cheese and smoked salmon (lox and bagels), and the next moment I looked round they had all dissappeared, and while I was barbecuing outside one guest sought me out to ask how I had made them - and that's always a good sign!

It was Chuck's star shaped bagel recipe on the inspirational Knead for Bread that sowed the seed. I still need (or knead) to get round to the star shapes - they look great. But for these ones I stayed more traditional and used normal bread dough, though of course you could add any flavouring you wanted to this - onions, chilli, garlic, raisins, nuts, spices - so many ingredients, so little time.



You boil them (left) for around 2 - 3 minutes on each side. Then transfer them to a baking tray with a baking sheet, egg wash them, sprinkle with sesame (or poppy seeds, fennel seeds, sea salt, dried onions - the possibilities are endless) and bake them for 10 - 15 minutes at 200 oC till golden.

And then there's the pizza bagel........

Related posts

Onion bread roll knots
Pesto bread roll knots
Snail, clover and bakers knot shaped bread rolls
Gluten free walnut and raisin bread rolls
Spelt bread and rolls
Soda bread - buttermilk v. water & vinegar
Gluten free nettle soda bread
Garlic bread
Cinnamon, raisin and candied orange bread crown
Thyme bread - various shapes
Saffron bread rolls

No comments