Lemon and lavender chutney

Sunday, September 13, 2009
A couple of months ago I found my dream kitchen. The best thing is I get to cook in it too. Meadowbank is the lastest of the Big Cottage properties, and sits on the edge of Chipping Campden, overlooking the church in the background that is probably one of the most sought after churches for a Cotswold wedding.


Outside the kitchen window are lots of lavender bushes, which lent a very few of their flowers to make this chutney which I then took back to Meadowbank a couple of weeks later for another party who were staying there. Lavender is so strong you don't need much at all - just 20 flowers for this. This is in fact supposed to be a secret recipe, but I suddenly needed the chutney for the next day, and Delia at Dove Cottage (who normally makes it) was busy, so I somehow managed to get the recipe instead, and you know I can't keep recipes all to myself......

20 lavender flowers
2 lemons
2 tsp mustard seeds
3 onions finely chopped
50g sultanas (I only had raisins so used those)
1 tsp cinnamon
1tsp allspice
500g (caster) sugar
White wine vinegar to taste



Cut the lemons into small shreds (rind and everything). Soak in vinegar overnight in the fridge. Next day boil all those ingredients up and let it simmer till the liquid has reduced to, and the chutney resembles a jam consistency.

----------

I love chutneys - they're so easy to make, but so delicious. I actually left it to recuce for too long and it set like toffee, so I just added a little hot water and let it down to the right consistency.

3 comments

Jan said...

Ooooh I am loving the idea of this ....lavender flowers and lemon!!
Yum!

Anonymous said...

I am interested in making this chutney. However, I would like to ask .... do you put the lavender in a muslim or just add it directly into the chutney. Also when you say 20 lavender flowers, do you mean 20 of the whole heads or just 20 of the individual tiny petals i.e. something which would come to approximately half a teaspoon.

Many Thanks
Charlotte

James said...

Just put the flowers straight in - they're edible. You can put them in muslin if you want to though.
20 tiny petals - not 20 heads. They are rather strong. 20 lavender heads would be mind blowing :)